The NBPU was sourced through an open tender process advertised on AusTender from 27 July until 1 September 2015. The NBPU is operated by a consortium led by Ninti One and including the University of Canberra, University of Sydney and Edith Cowan University.
The functions of the NBPU include:
- Developing and maintaining operational guidelines for tobacco reduction among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities.
- Providing a range of organisational supports to grant recipients to implement evidence-based approaches to tobacco control.
- Providing support to grant recipients to develop and implement performance indicators and data collection methods, and contributing to an overarching program evaluation to measure the impact of TIS funded activities.
- Facilitating workforce development to support the reduction of tobacco use, primarily for individuals and organisations funded by the TIS program.
- Disseminating evidence and information on best practice, building a community of practice, and promoting a culture of evaluation and continuous improvement for the TIS program.
- Providing assistance to the department to implement an outcomes-focused approach to the TIS program.
Back to top