National Health and Medical Research CouncilThe National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) issues advice on ethical issues relating to health and develops guidelines for the conduct of research involving humans and animal research. There are more than 200 HRECs in institutions and organisations across Australia.
Department of Health Human Research Ethics CommitteeThe role of the Australian Government Department of Health Human Research Ethics Committee, an approved Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC), is to provide ethical assessment of non-biomedical research proposals involving humans that:
- are funded by the Department of Health; or
- require access to, or linkage of, Departmental data collections; or
- are initiated or conducted, either wholly or in part, by Departmental staff;
- have not been considered by another HREC; or
- have been referred to the Committee by a data custodian or by a senior executive of the Department.
- Completed research applications MUST be received by the Committee Secretariat at least 13 working days before the Committee meeting.
- The ethics process can be lengthy if you do not submit ALL the information as requested in the Application Form. For applications that include all required information, please allow a minimum of four weeks for ethical approval.
- The Committee will provide assistance to you in determining whether or not your project does need HREC approval. Please contact the Committee Secretariat with details of your research who will refer your enquiry to the Chair of the Committee.
- If requested, the Committee will review research applications that involve research ON departmental staff.
- Data custodians may stipulate clearance by the Committee as a condition that must be met for the release of data, whether or not the research has received ethical approval from another HREC.
- The Committee is not responsible for the release of Departmental data. Release of data must be provided by the appropriate data custodian. Release of Departmental data does not constitute evidence of a review by a HREC.